Sindhudurg, Shivaji built this ocean fort in 1664 AD on a low rocky 48-acre island off the Malvan coast. Vijaydurg and Sindhudurg are twin forts from the days of Shivaji's time that is a historic place with its serene coastal beauty. It is believed that Shivaji personally selected the site for the construction of the fort.
For casting and the foundation stones, over 2,000 khandis (4,000
mounds) of iron and lead were used to it lay down firmly. There is a
temple dedicated to Shivaji inside the fort. This is the only shrine of
its kind in the country, which was built by his son Rajaram.
Other temples dedicated to Hindu deities renowned in the Maratha
pantheon (as Maruti, Bhavani, Mahadeo, Jarimai, Mahapurush, etc) lie
within the limits of the fort. The Vijaydurg or 'Victory Fort' and the
Padamgarh Fort are other attractions in the vicinity.
Rajapur and Kudal are the nearest railway stations. Sindhudurg is just
510 km from Mumbai via the Goa Highway. The fort can be reached through
a narrow a channel, between two small islands of Dhontara and Padmagad.
Ferries ply at regular intervals from the Malvan port to the Sindhudurg
Sindhudurg fort was a stronghold of the Marathas.