Anara Fort is located at Arnala Islands, which is at a distance of 8 miles north of Vasai in Maharashtra. As it is surrounded on all sides by water, Arnala Fort is also known as 'Jaldurg' or 'Janjire Arnala'. Anara Fort is mainly on the north side of Anara Island. The main entrance is on the northern side, while the fort has broad and strong high walls with three gates.
Steps are made that lead to ramparts (walls), so one can take a walk
around the entire boundary wall. To allow entry in the small rooms and
storehouses below, the ramparts have number of small openings in its
broad walls. Villagers use some of these storehouses to store their
paddy crop. One would come across a canon ball still stuck on the inner
side of the west side of the wall near the temple.
It is believed that Shivaji built this fort under the leadership of
Kanoji Agare. Arnala Fort came under the British control in 1803 after
Bajirao II Peshwa signed the infamous Treaty of Vasai. The fort also has
a 'Shankar Temple' and a Mosque where religious festivals are celebrated
every year. The villagers grow vegetables on plots inside the fort, as
well as on the western side out side the fort.
Arnala Fort is located near Vasai in Maharashtra.